Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Gordon: Committee misled into believing judge didn’t order destruction of seized shabu

 Senator Richard Gordon on Wednesday said the blue ribbon committee was misled into believing that a judge failed to issue an order to destroy 900 kilograms of shabu seized last December.

During the resumption of the Senate blue ribbon committee hearing on the P6.4-billion shabu shipment from China, Gordon ordered the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) and the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) to apologize to San Juan Regional Trial Court Judge Jovencio Gascon.

"I would like to apologize for being misled and I would say this in no certain terms: The committee was misled that Judge Gascon had not ordered the destruction of drugs as reported to us by PDEA and NBI," he said.

"In fact, I think he knew at that time kaya lang the Justice Secretary was here and he was not properly informed. That is my suspicion. I had to talk all the way to the Chief Justice of Supreme Court. Sabi ko bakit nabalitaan ko nagpapasunog pero nire-report ng PDEA hindi raw nagpapasunog because I found out after na nagpasunog na siya," he added.

On September 12, Senators Panfilo Lacson and Gordon questioned the failure of the court to issue an order to destroy the 900 kilograms seized during an anti-illegal drug operation in San Juan City.

"So I think it is only fair that PDEA or NBI to apologize to the judge because I was ready to ask him to be here as I've told the Chief Justice na kung ang judge hindi pinapasunog, then there's something wrong," Gordon said.

"Pinaliwanag sa amin na hindi naman pala, at siya'y nagpapasunog ng drugs," he added.

NBI Deputy Director for Investigative Services Vicente de Guzman said he has the orders from the San Juan court under Gascon.

"I have here with me orders from the San Juan court under Judge Jovencio Gascon ordering the destruction of the drugs that we turned over to PDEA," he said.

Gordon then asked if the drugs were destroyed in June.

However, De Guzman said: "I don't know. According to our chemist they are supposed to be there during the destruction."

De Guzman said that the court order was issued on May 29, June 19, and June 30.

Despite this, Gordon said that the order was still six months delayed.

"PDEA, you are hereby instructed to write a letter because you are the guys who told me and the Department of Justice and the NBI told me na wala pang nade-destroy. I don't want to destroy this man's reputation," Gordon said.

"It really turned me off na nahuli na but actually kung tutuusin, June is still six months delayed," he added.

Gordon said illegal drugs within 24 hours of confiscation should be submitted to PDEA for qualitative examination. The result should then be issued within 24 hours.

He added that the court, within 72 hours, shall conduct and ocular inspection, and PDEA within 24 hours, should proceed with the destruction.
Share:

0 comments: